Wednesday, June 02, 2004

White Collar Crime

Last night, we were at Home Depot, with most of the rest of Winnipeg. There were very few cashiers and the lines were long. I had been chatting with the man in front of me, an early-fifties type, dressed as though his wife selected his casual clothes. Definitely white collar. He had a 6-7' tall trellis and a watering can. We were commiserating about how slow the lines were moving, how they needed to have more registers open, etc. In fact, our cashier had completely disappeared.



After about 10 minutes, he asked me if I thought anyone would notice if he just walked out. I ASSUMED he was kidding. Then he left! With his (non)purchases! I really thought that maybe he was joking, or was just putting things in his car, but he never returned!



I keep thinking about the guy. He is probably a financial planner someone is trusting with their money, or a school administrator Winnipeg is trusting with its children, or an attorney being trusted to keep someone's best interests in mind. I wonder what he is doing today.

No comments: