Tuesday, June 01, 2004

Are "U" hungry for Thai?

A woman and her son walk into a Thai restaurant. (Ok, it's Oliver and me.)



We had stopped by our favorite Thai place (One Night in Bangkok) on our way home from the pediatrician's office last night (Oliver has mono, but is fine) to pick up dinner. Oliver asks the lovely Asian server her name, and she says "U" (or maybe "You" or "Ewe," but you get the idea).



Oliver IMMEDIATELY goes into a one-man-show with "You? Wow! That's really easy to spell! It's just a "U!"



And was met with a puzzled look.



Then he says "Hey! If you were lost outside, I could just say 'Hey, U! Where are U? Come here, U!' "



And, this time, he got a polite, but confused smile.



"And wouldn't it be CRAZY if my name was 'ME'???? Then we would be 'U' and 'ME'!!!"



To which our lovely Asian server says " You have nice child. No shy." and walks away.



You should know, and with sincerest apologies to all my friends with names that are difficult to spell or pronounce, that I laughed until I cried. And, I will have leftover delicious panang curry for my lunch today.

No comments: